Sunday, September 9, 2007

Hooray Hooray


Ah the classic caramel shortcake. It's usually baked in trays, then cut when set. The biscuit, as buttery or crumbly as you like; the caramel, dense or not, you decide; and the chocolate topping can be milk, dark, or for you hardcore lot, made with 99% cocoa solids. I would easily devour an unmentionable amount were I left alone in a dark room (or a light one for that matter). Carrying the name 'Millionaire Squares', they are oft thought to be on the exquisite and luxurious end of the tea-time biscuit chain. Now, they are widely available, regardless of class. I sometimes wish I lived in an age when the consumption of such foods was reserved for certain times of the social calendar. I don't mean for that to sound as snobby as it will. I think the days when champagne and lobster were reserved for special occasions are coming to an end. Marks & Spencer (a family favourite) sell prepared, ready to eat, Lobster Thermidor at the affordable* cost of €25, or there abouts.
Terribly overpriced but let's be honest, in this day and age when people think nothing of handing over €1.70 for a 50cl bottle of water, it comes as no surprise that people will buy Lobster for their traditional TV dinner.

The music world is going into overdrive with all the speculation surrounding a certain Ms. Spears. Will she win over the critics with her new material? What is she going to do to top her previous VMA preformances (2001: the snake, 2003: that kiss)? Is she dating her choreographer/magician? Will her comeback be a hit or a miss?
I have to give the girl credit for making the attempt to revive her (very) dormant career. The new song is getting a lot of positive feedback although there is a lot of skepticism towards the rest of her new material.
I can't wait to see what she pulls of the proverbial hat on Sunday. I have your back Brit.


On several occasions when watching a band play (usually lesser-known support acts) I've casually remarked who I think said band resembles musically... And on several occasions I've read the same thing weeks later in many magazines.
It's a game I play far too often, a=lovechild of b+c. Take one James Morrison (a guilty pleasure of mine), I'm thinking lovechild of Lightbody and Martin, no? This is based purely on looks but I do it with music among other things...

So I'd just like to say that Air Traffic remind me of Coldplay,
and The Dead 60's are Maximo Park meets Hard-Fi!


*for those with disposable income, the majority of Ireland today!

1 comment:

Marie said...

Air Traffic does sound like Coldplay. Just not as good.You're right, though. I always try to see who new bands sound like.I heard this band Voxtrot.Kinda sound like we are scientist but really not as good and they look like teenagers on stage.